Thursday, September 14, 2023

MARY MACKEY ON CREATIVITY!

You are invited to read Mary Mackey's essay "Creating Creativity" on Sheila Bender's blog, Writing It Real. You can see the whole thing HERE but here's an excerpt:

"I nearly died from a high fever just before my third birthday. I remember the experience well because it was the first time I saw how thin and bright the world could be. I remember lying on a green couch in an over-heated room. It must have been winter, because frost coated the windowpanes, and snow lay on the bare branches of the trees in big lumps. My mother had given me a bottle of Coca-Cola on the principle that I needed to take in more fluids. My temperature must have been somewhere between 105  and 106 Fahrenheit because I was already experiencing that wonderful, detached floating feeling I always get above 105....

I couldn’t have had much of a vocabulary at that age. Nevertheless, words streamed into my mind and came out of my mouth, combining and re-combining into entirely new things. I believe this was the moment when I was given the gift of poetry."





No comments:

Post a Comment