Monday, February 28, 2022

RAFAEL JESUS GONZALEZ IN "CHAPTER ONE" SERIES!


Berkeley's first Poet Laureate Rafael Jesus Gonzalez is latest participant in Marsh Hawk Press' "Chapter One" series about poets' beginnings. Gonzalez, also the founder of the Mexican & Latin American Studies Dept. at Laney College, Oakland, begins his contribution with the following (and do go HERE for entire essay):

"I was born into flor y canto, in xochitl in cuicatl, flower & song, poetry taught me by my father Jesús and my mother Carmen (who before she married compiled a collection of poems, in Spanish of course, meticulously typed on two- hundred-fifty pages bound in an embossed binder from the custom house in Cd. Juárez where my aunt Luz worked, the first book I ever attempted to illustrate, to my mother’s consternation, at the age of three or four.)"


No comments:

Post a Comment