Wednesday, September 16, 2015

PAUL PINES ON "JAZZ AT THE LAKE"


Paul Pines is interviewed about the "Jazz at the Lake" concert series for which he's the long-time curator.  Here's an excerpt:
Q: How did you get involved in Jazz at the Lake, and what were you doing – personally and/or professionally – before that process started?
A: I had long had a friendship with the poet William Bronk, who owned the lumber company in Hudson Falls and was an American Book Award poet. I would take R & R at his place and got to know other writers in the area. Shortly after my novel, “The Tin Angel,” was published in 1983 and broke into The NYT Sunday Book Review. In 1984, I was invited to spend six months at the Crandall Library [in Glens Falls] giving a creative writing course on a grant from the NYS Council on the Arts. I was living in Belize at the time and had every intention of going back to my little house on the beach in Rum Point. Christine MacDonald knew John Strong {of the Lake George Arts Project}, who was playing with the idea of starting a jazz festival in Lake George. When he learned I was in residence, he called me to see if I would help him set up a festival because he had no idea what was entailed. I told him I was willing to do that but would probably be leaving for Belize shortly after that. Instead, I met my wife, Carol, and 31 years later I am still curating the festival.
Go HERE for the entire interview.



No comments:

Post a Comment